Happy Valentine’s Day!! It feels like New Years was just yesterday but here we are, celebrating yet another holiday! We all know Valentine’s Day is generally about showing your affection towards another person. Great! Nothing wrong with that! But, sometimes (not only on Valentine’s Day) we forget to show compassion and love toward ourselves! V-Day isn’t just for couples or little kids with tiny paper cards; to me, it’s a reminder that life is full of love, kindness, and a lot of yummy chocolates.
As I spend quite a bit of time studying the Bible, highlighting and noting my favorite verses, and really try to connect with scripture, I run into some of my favorite verses that fill me to the brim with empowerment! Women of the Bible were amazing! They were strong, courageous, God-fearing, and smart beyond their years. It is a total misconception that women in the Bible were slaves to men; c’mon now, God made us all for different purposes, but incredibly equal and deserving of love all the same.
- God is in the midst of her, she shall not be moved. God will help her when morning dawns. Psalm 46:5
- You are beautiful, for you are fearfully and wonderfully made. Psalm 139:14
- Her mouth speaks from that which fills her heart. Luke 6:45
- Jesus turned and seeing her he said, “take heart daughter, your faith has made you well.” And instantly the woman was made well. Matthew 9:22
- She is clothed in strength and dignity, and laughs without fear of the future. Proverbs 31:25
- For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11
- God can restore what is broken and turn it into something amazing, and all you need is faith. Joel 2:25
- But by the grace of God, I am what I am and His grace towards me was not in vain. 1 Corinthians 15:10
- Her heart is set on things above. Col. 3:1
- She is a woman of strength and dignity. When she speaks, her words are wise and kindness is the rule for everything she says. Proverbs 31:25-26
- The Lord will fight for you, you only need to be still. Exodus 14:14
- Perhaps this is the moment for which you have be created. Esther 4:14
- He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. He determines the number of the stars and gives to all of them their names. Great is our Lord, and abundant in power, His understanding is beyond measure. Psalms 147:3-5
- My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26
- I life my eyes to the hills. From where doe my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made Heaven and Earth. He will not let your foot be moved; He who keeps you will not slumber. Psalm 121:1-3
- Lord, teach me what I cannot see. Job 34:32
- It is not fancy hair, gold jewelry, or fine clothes that should make you beautiful. No, your beauty should come from inside you… the beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, that beauty will never disappear, and it is worth very much to God. 1 Peter 3:3-4
- I have made you. I will carry you. I will sustain you. I will rescue you. Isiah 46:4
- God has more in store for you than you can ever imagine. Ephesians 3:20
- Jesus replied, “you don’t understand now what I am doing, but someday you will.” John 13:7
- You are altogether beautiful, my darling, beautiful in every way. Song of Solomon 4:7
I mean, my goodness! How fearless and bold are those statements above?? Women of the Bible were women to be looked up to, women who women today can certainly model their own actions, values, and self-worth after.
So here’s my little Valentine’s Day pep-talk. I’ve spent this little Hallmark holiday with guys I loved, in relationships that were suffering, and also alone. I know spending a mushy holiday alone can be disheartening and it sucks to see the happy couples around you showering each other with affection.
But seriously, take heart, Valentine’s Day can be spent gloriously alone or even completely ignored. If you have the motivation, give yourself a little love today. Go buy yourself some chocolate and wine, put some fresh flowers on the kitchen table, wear something red and take yourself out to eat, buy a friend and family member a gift… V-Day is about appreciation and love, why not give both those things tirelessly to yourself for a change?
You carry so much love in your heart, give some to yourself. – R.Z
~ Shelby B.
Like this post and subscribe to my blog; thank you for your support and love!